KC Things site is in Catalog Mode while we complete final testing.
Rookwood Pottery Co - Cincinnati, OH 1880 - 1967
Rookwood Pottery was founded in 1880 in Cincinnati Ohio by one, some might say, coddled Mrs. Maria Longworth Nichols. Though she was cautioned not to undertake the production of "art pottery", her drive and determination persevered. She with the help of others, converted an old school house given to her by her father, into the fledgling pottery known as Rookwood.
The pottery barely existed for three and a half years, only due to the benevolence of Mrs. Nichols father, Joseph Longworth. He passed in December 1883, leaving the pottery's future uncertain.
Fortunately, earlier in the year, William Taylor had been hired and he possessed the necessary skills to guide Rookwood to profitability.
The early marks varied. It wasn't until 1886 that the familiar conjoined reversed "R" and "P" became the standard mark for Rookwood. Each year thereafter, through 1900, a flame was added to denote the year. In 1901, the use of the Roman Numerals below the mark began and continued until production ceased.
Like many pottery companies, the "Crash" of 1929 and subsequent depression nearly ended Rookwood. But, it struggled on, through a succession of owners. One such owner, the Herschede Hall Clock Company, moved the operations from Cincinnati to Starksville, Mississippi in 1960. Operations were finally suspended in 1967.
More in-depth detail is available in any one of the books in the Bibliography.
Rookwood Banded Stem with Leaves Vase circa 1931 in matte light blue
Rookwood Catholic Charities Vase circa 1934 in matte blue
Rookwood Embossed Leaves Vase circa 1931 in matte purple
Rookwood Vellum Vase circa 1910 in matte blue signed by Katherine Van Horne